Friday, September 2, 2011

Porcupine Balls

This is a recipe that a Hungarian lady taught me how to make, many, many moons ago. I have been trying to remember how to make it but here is a basic recipe.

500 grams lean ground beef
1/3 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove of garlic - crushed/minced
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
dash ground black pepper
1 can condensed tomato soup
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (or 1/2 teaspon of minced fresh chilli if your brave)
1/2 cup water

Combine the ground beef, rice, onion, garlic, 1/4 cup of the water, salt, and pepper. Shape meat mixture into 12 to 15 meat balls. Combine the soup, chili powder, and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.

Add meatballs; reduce heat, cover, and simmer over very low heat for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.

***
This is really simple to make and is quite yummy. I actually follow the instructions on the soup can and add a can of water to the mix. I have also added on top of this a cup of tomato soup as well (the packet plus the cup of water). Don't ask me why - its a bit spicier I guess. Also, instead of chilli powder I use about half a teaspon of chopped chilli but this can be quite hot.

B. suggests actually putting spaghetti with it but then this would feed about 8 people! We are trying to the spaghetti next time:)

No comments:

Post a Comment