Friday, May 18, 2012

Jamie Oliver's 30 Minute Meals - Cheats Cheesecake


Finally I am getting around to making the dessert from Jamie Oliver's 30 Minute Meals that I blogged about ages ago.  I have recreated the Oozy Mushroom Risotto, and the Sundried Tomato and Pinenut salad and now I am attempting the Cheats Cheesecake (or Raving Idiot's Cheesecake as I may call it).  This is because I have guests coming for dinner on Sunday and want to make them something special. It's also perfect as they are vegetarian so all the three dishes are perfect!!  


I have tried to write out as much as I can and included some pics. They were for my use but thought I would share as the Mushroom Risotto is gorgeous and the salad is very fresh and zingy.  Let's see how we go with dessert.

Ingredients


Hazelnuts – 50 grams
Butter – 50 grams
Gingernut Biscuits – 8 biscuits
Lemon zest
Creme Fraiche (we didn’t have any where I lived so I used light sour cream) – a small pot (see pics)
Icing Sugar – 1 teaspoon
Vanilla Extract – 1 cap full
Lemon Curd (I make an eggless variety from this recipe)
Raspberries (I used Strawberries)
Mint
Chocolate

Method


In a heavy based pan toast 50 grams of hazenuts.










While they are gently toasting, in a clean tea towel crush 8 gingernut biscuits.  Jamie makes a little bundle out of the tea towel and whacks it on the bench until the gingernuts are fairly well crumbled and powdery.

Crack the toasting hazelnuts in the pan  until they are chunky (you don’t have to crush the bits too small). Jamie uses sort of a wooden pestle but I’d probably crush them before putting them in the pan. 


Add butter to the pan and turn the heat off.  Let the butter fry together with nuts, melting the butter. Add a few scrapes of lemon zest (about two teaspoons as I could see) and sprinkle in the crushed gingernuts and combine with a spoon.




Divide evenly into glasses (or whatever you would like the base to be in) and gently tamp down.  Cover and chill until the base sets firm.







Mix the crème fraiche (or sour cream) with icing sugar and vanilla.





Add a few dollops of lemon curd to each glass, add three or so raspberries and then a few dollops of crème fraiche. Add a few more raspberries.  Add a few small mint leaves on top.




Get a ‘decent’ bar of chocolate. Turn it so its back is showing (the smooth side).  Rest the chocolate on the bench and up against yourself so it’s held in place. 


Using the flat part of a knife scrape towards you so you create chocolate rolls.  Do this a few times until you get the desired amount of chocolate rolls.


Jamie says ‘I know it looks chefy but a raving idiot could do it’ (this gives me hope!).  


Carefully sprinkle them over the top of the glasses.  Chill until be served.


 All pictures are taken from the television program - Jamie's 30 Minute Meals


10 comments:

  1. Thanks, have been trying to find the recipe and all I could find was the blocked video. Remembered most of the ingredients bar the lemon zest and I bet that makes all the difference. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can buy cremw fraiche in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic receipe ... I saw this two yrs ago in Jamie's tv show and wrote it down but lost the writing ... many thanks :) ... cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Question... could this be considered a "Trifle"?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a firm family favourite, quick, easy and so delicious, made so often now that I know the recipe off by heart and keep the ingredients in the pantry year round! We like a blend of mascarpone & creme fraiche together - yes we have plenty of each made in Australia :) - and either Yackandandah or Anathoth brand lemon curd, both are very good when you don't have time to make your own. Cheers, Robbie (Canberra)

    ReplyDelete
  6. how many servings does this make? I am planning to make it for around 20 people next week, hence need some guidance please

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi can you use anything else apart from lemon curd as I'm not keen suggestions welcome thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jamie also uses mascarpone in place of creme fraiche.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did this and the ingredients were quite expensive. The flavour was ok but I wouldn’t make this again unless I had to for an occasion

    ReplyDelete