Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dhal Tadka

I was inspired by Kirstin, who fb'd about a Red Lentil Dhal recipe. So much so, I had to rush off and look in my cupboard and see if I could make Dhal.  I actually found a box of 'Maharaja's Choice' Dhal Tadka that I forgot I had purchased and quickly nuked it and ate it.  It was yummy-yummy-yummy.  I have always been put off by dhal but Kirstin's recipe looked so simple.

So I googled away...found this Dal Tadka and made my own version.

Dhal Tadka (Idiot proof!, Spicy, Winter Warmer, Makes 2 big bowls - double as needed)
Vegan Friendly


Ingredients

Quarter pack of yellow split peas (roughly 125g) known as tor dal
2 cups of water
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tablespoon of garlic garden gourmet squeezy or 3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon of ginger paste or 1cm piece ginger, crushed

2 tbsp vegetable oil
Half a tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 to 3 dry chillies
5 to 8 curry leaves (I bought the fresh from Farmer's Market and froze them)
Chilli powder (I used a teaspoon of Sambal Olek - as I have run out of chilli!)
Pinch of asafoetida powder
200g chopped tomatoes - (about 2 big over ripe tomatoes chopped)
Coriander leaves or a small squeeze of garden gourmet coriander

Method:
1. Wash and drain the split peas in a colander.

2. Put into a heavy based pan with water. Add turmeric and boil for 45 to 60 minutes until the dal is soft when pressed between the thumb and index finger.

3. In a mortar and pestle, pound garlic and ginger with a good pinch of salt to a paste. Alternatively you can use ready Ginger Garlic Paste

4. Heat oil in a small pan over low heat. Add mustard seeds and allow to pop. Add cumin seeds, dried chillies, curry leaves, chilli powder, asafoetida, ginger and garlic paste and fry. Pour the hot flavoured oil into the dal and stir well.

5. Add chopped tomatoes and simmer for another 10 minutes.

6. Season with salt and garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rotis or rice.  I had garlic chapati which you can buy from coles/woolies. I gave it a quick grill.  I also added a squeeze of lemon juice. Yummy.




No comments:

Post a Comment